Our Commitment to Safety
VME is committed to maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its employees, suppliers, vendors, customers, visitors, and the surrounding community. Our commitment is evidenced by safe work practices, open communication, and our stop work authority. By continuously evaluating, analyzing, planning, and implementing best safety practices, we believe our target of ZERO incidents is attainable.
Our Commitment to the Environment
We strive to be good stewards of the earth’s resources. VME frequently monitors its operations and seeks ways to minimize or eliminate any harmful effects on the environment.
At VME, we believe that all safety and environmental incidents are preventable.
VME is committed to:
- Develop, maintain and implement a comprehensive HSE Management System including a workplace HSE Program, guidelines, policies and training.
- Create a work environment where we identify workplace risks and mitigate them through pro-active programs for incident prevention.
- Hold all staff accountable for their safety responsibilities in their respective departments, jobs, crews or workplaces.
- Meet or exceed requirements of all laws, regulations, applicable industry standards, and client expectations.
- Create a “partnership” with contractors, suppliers, and other third parties to achieve our goals by mutual HSE commitment.
- Provide and maintain a program of continuous improvement by establishing HSE objectives and targets and achieve them by implementing, monitoring, measuring, and reporting HSE performance.
- Eliminating unnecessary risks by empowering all employees with the authority to stop a job they feel is unsafe.
At VME we use various tools and programs to achieve HSE world class operations, including:
- To ensure the Safety & Health of our employees by setting & enforcing safety policies and procedures, providing training, and continuous improvement in our workplace
- Fresh Eyes program proactively recognizes and eliminates workplace hazards “If you see it, You own it”
- Our Team is confident in balancing challenges and risks while keeping safety in the forefront and trusts that safety is a priority
- Safety Committee comprised of operations and shop employees dedicated to addressing safety concerns and issues in the workplace.
- Extensive HSE training at all levels to maintain a high safety culture and reduce the risks of potential hazards
- Risk Management with established risk assessment of all processes & procedures
Stop Work Authority
It is the Health, Safety, and Environmental policy of VME to provide and maintain a safe and productive work environment against any risk or exposure to personal harm, property damage, or adverse effects to the environment.
As such, it is the duty and the right of everyone employed or engaged by VME to exercise a STOP WORK authority whenever any employee, contractor, visitor, or the local environment is at risk. Management supports the decision of its employees in the diligent execution of the policy.
- STOP WORK shall be applied if any situation arises due to an unsafe action or behavior that was permitted to continue and could potentially lead to an incident.
- Any person, regardless of position, seniority or discipline, has the right and duty to apply the STOP WORK authority in his/her judgment, if such activity is seen as unsafe.
- There shall be no fault or blame put on an employee when exercising the STOP WORK authority when it is deemed as an unsafe action or condition.
- Timing is a critical factor to successfully stopping an unsafe action or condition that could result in an incident, therefore the STOP WORK authority should be applied immediately.
- Work that has ceased due to a STOP WORK authority shall not resume until all safety aspects are cleared by management.
This policy is a commitment to our employees, staff, contractors, and visitors.